1. Things I’m grateful for this week: a kind, thoughtful message from someone I haven’t seen in years; a forever ongoing group text message thread with two of my bestest friends that is a constant source of laughter and encouragement; THE WEEKEND (I really feel like I earned it this week).
2. (last) Friday me: I really want a pair of mules but I am not going to let myself look because I don’t need them. Sunday me: has to pass by DSW on her way from Carter’s to her car, now owns a pair of mules. Straight copied from a text to a friend because I knew she’d admire them with me. 🙂 But just look at these, and I found them for only $28! No regrets, they’re incredibly comfortable and I’ve already worn them three times this week.
3. I had no idea who Van Jones was I did some googling, but caught a really interesting interview with him on the radio on my drive to work the other morning and he shared this thought on the climate in the U.S. right now: “we’re all just failing preschool and Sunday school right now” and I couldn’t help but find myself nodding my head in agreement.
4. The main branch of our local library has a semi-annual book sale and the fall event is this weekend! Last year I decided to make a small donation to their “friend of the library” program and one perk is early access to the sale. I took advantage of that last night and got quite a few kids books for only a $1 each, then found some books for me at only $3 a piece. I think I’m most excited about picking up Talking As Fast As I Can by Lauren Graham and most curious about a Deepak Chopra book I snagged. I listened to his episode on Oprah’s SuperSoul Conversations podcast just this week and liked it so much that I thought $3 was worth giving one of his books a try. Another good find – the audiobook of Sheryl Sandberg’s Lean In. I started it this morning on my drive to work and think I’m going to easily be hooked.
5. Maybe about a month and a half ago I got it stuck in my head that I really wanted to find a darker lipstick for fall that was the perfect purplish/berry color. I’m thinking that was my way of coping with that feeling of being so ready for fall but the weather not allowing dressing for it? I tried these lipsticks based on a recommendation from Jolie’s post and the blossom berry color was exactly what I was looking for. (I also have the forever fawn color she recommends and eternal flame – both good, but just can’t beat the blossom berry I’ve had on repeat lately)
6. The Columbus Marathon is this weekend and my husband signed up for the full this year and I’m actually pretty excited. The second half of the course winds through the campus of the college I went to so I’m thinking about using it as an opportunity to run around campus with Jacob. And of course after going to get donuts to kill some time during the last race my husband did, I’m declaring that a new tradition so coffee and donuts will be on the agenda too. 🙂
7. And if the donuts aren’t enough sugar for the family this weekend, then I’m toying with the idea of making this bourbon apple crisp recipe that was linked in Bridget’s post today. We’ve got apples, and there’s almost always bourbon in our house. Might be a winner!